Pages

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

I Can Be Anything

Was anyone else enthralled with Reading Rainbow as a kid?

I can still remember my two favorite episodes...the dairy farm, and the crayon factory. Don't you remember all of those orange crayons?

Or maybe that was Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood. Incidentally, Mr. Rogers made a mean no-bake cookie out of, hmmm...peanut butter, butter, brown sugar, and...maybe raisins. Sounds healthy, right?

Here's the recipe: Peanut Butter and Graham Cracker Treats. (Turns out I was way off on the ingredients!) I can still remember watching that episode of Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood, and then making these with my mom and brother in our family kitchen.

Anyway, the point of all this is not to share my childhood memories, but to say that I had a bit of an epiphany the other day. It happened in the shower, as things like this so often do. See, for quite some time, I've been searching for a direction, a calling. What do I want to do? Who am I going to be? And I've been coming up short.

But now, like Julie of Julie of the Wolves, who on her epic journey home pointed her boots toward her estranged father Kapugen before lying down to sleep each night, I have found a new direction. It feels like I am turning my face toward the sun after a long, cold night.

If I'd had any powdered milk or graham crackers in the house, I'd have made a batch of Mr. Rogers' Peanut Butter and Graham Cracker Treats to celebrate.

3 comments:

  1. I'm going through the same thing right now, so I can totally relate! Isn't it an exciting feeling?

    I found your blog through The Smart Kitchen, I can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I TOTALLY remember the crayon episode! My in-laws recently visited the Crayola factory and I was pretty jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. reshape: Welcome, and thanks for reading!

    fizzle: LOVE that - it would be so cool to visit the Crayola factory!

    ReplyDelete